Audience: Suitable for faculty who will be teaching ALP. Could be all the writing faculty from one or more schools or could be a cohort of faculty from a range of schools, even from across the state, who will later conduct faculty development for other faculty. Works best with fewer than 40 participants.
Purpose: To provide an opportunity for faculty to think about and discuss how teaching in an ALP class is different from teaching in more traditional settings.
Content: The presentation usually covers the following:
- backward design curriculum development
- active learning in a writing classroom
- integrating reading with writing
- thinking skills in the writing classroom
- addressing non-cognitive issues
- improving students’ ability to edit their own writing
- aligning the syllabi for the developmental and the comp classes
- writing projects
Format: Small group discussion. Demonstration. Lots of sample materials distributed.
Time: Minimum of a half day, but two or three days ideally.